Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Christmas is coming

I've got 44 more cases in various stages of completion, they should be done next week - just in time for Christmas!

For this batch I'm going with a different magnet. I've been using ceramic ones forever but they're not always the same size so I've had to chistle/force them into the pocket that holds them and that's just not how things should be. So, welcome to the world of rare earth (Neodymium) magnets. These have the look and feel of metal, are incredibly strong and have a countersunk hole in the middle so I can screw them in place (attaching metal to wood using glue is tricky). They are also perfectly round and exactly 1/2" inch in diameter so a forstner (flat bottom) bit and a #4 screw should be just what I'm after.

If you've followed my old posts you know I don't make these changes lightly or without a lot of research and experimentation. I think this is a definite improvement and if I like them, I'm sure you will too.

I'm also dabbling with a facebook 'in the workshop' page so stay tuned!